At Priory we want to have fully inclusive racing based on a handicap system call the Portsmouth Yard Stick. The Portsmouth Yardstick Scheme enables different classes and types of boat to race together under a handicap system. By using the Scheme, Sailing Clubs are able to easily get a variety of differing boats including Dinghies, Multihulls, Keelboats and Cruisers all racing together fairly.
In place for over 70 years, the Scheme has developed to accommodate new boats and continues to provide a fairer handicap system.
Sunday morning: all-comers
Five separate Series, the Icicle, Spring, Summer, Autumn and Frostbite, are available for all-comers on Sunday mornings on the dates shown on the calendar. In addition to this is the Olympic Pursuit Series which runs on occasional Sundays throughout the season. The Club trophies to be awarded and the start times of the races are detailed below.
Two races on each of 9 Sundays giving eighteen races, five to count for the “Icicle Tankard” and “First Novice Award”. First race is at 10.30am, and the type and duration of both races is decided on the day by the Race Officer and those racing.
10.00am start for 30-minute handicap race, 10.45am start for 40-minute handicap race and 11.45am start for 30-minute handicap race. Eighteen races in the series with five to count for the “All-comers Mug” and the “All-comers Novice Tankard”.
Olympic Pursuit Series:
Two 60-minute pursuit races starting from the shore. First race is at 10.00am. Ten races in the series with four to count for the all-comers “Olympic Series Tankard” and “Olympic Novice Tankard”.
10.00am start for 30-minute handicap race, 10.45am start for 50-minute pursuit race and 11.45am start for 30-minute handicap race. Eighteen races in the series with five to count for the “All-comers Winners Shield”, the “Novice Winners Shield”. An “All-comers Winners Shield” and “Novice Winners Shield” will also be awarded for First position and First Novice in the Summer Series pursuit races.
10.00am start for 30-minute handicap race, 10.45am start for 40-minute handicap race and 11.45am start for 30-minute handicap race. Eighteen races in the series with five to count for the all-comers “Autumn Handicap Boat”, the “Barry Ingram Trophy” for the best Novice.
Eighteen races in the series with 5 to count for the “Nick Sparrow Trophy”. First race at 10.30am and the type and duration of both races is decided on the day by the Race Officer and those racing.
Additional Race Series
- Lazy Sunday Series: Sailors new to racing may wish to sail in these races on Sunday afternoons where extra advice and detailed briefings before each race will be available. There are ten races in the Series. Two races on one Sunday afternoon in each of five consecutive months starting in April. Five races to count for a placing in the Series. First race briefing is at 2.00pm and then racing as appropriate for participants and weather conditions. Fun prizes on the day.
- Double-hander Series: For helm and crew, over six months, two races of 40-minutes per month taking place on Saturday afternoons in the middle of the month. First race starting at 2:00pm. Twelve races in the series with five to count for the “Monica Ogborn Trophy”.
- Wednesday on the Water: Informal racing on a Wednesday evening from June onwards. Format decided on the evening depending on weather and participants.
Special Racing Events
- Icicle Race: One 50-minute all-comers handicap race starting at 11.30 on New Years’ Day for fun prizes and the “Janes Trophy”. The “Brass Monkeys” trophy for the most determined effort.
- All-fools Race: Two 50-minute all-comers handicap races on the Sunday closest to 1st April. Both races will count for fun prizes and the “PSC All-Fools Shield”.
- RNLI Regatta: Three 50-minute all-comers races, one pursuit and two handicap races, with the best two results to count for the “Monica Ogborn RNLI Glass Sail First” for overall winner and the “RNLI Glass Sail First Junior” for the best junior. Held on a Sunday towards the end of May, first race starts at 11.00.
- The Youth Regatta: Fun events and races, arranged by the Juniors for the Juniors
- The AGM Charity Cup: Held on the Sunday of the AGM in November. The competitor with the highest result from the races is awarded the “Martin Lambert Trophy”.